Blueberries are in season and bushes are brimming with the superfood berry.
Blueberries (and peaches BTW) are in full swing now and farms across Ontario are offering pick-your-own access. If you’re planning on picking your own blueberries and need to find an Ontario farm near you, click here for a list: Ontario Pick Your Own Blueberry Farms. Blueberries are usually available from July and into August, depending on weather conditions. This year, the blueberry harvest is sensational!
Blueberry Picking Tips
- Best to go in the morning before it gets too hot.
- Berries with a touch of red are not fully ripe. Look for full, plump blueberries with a light gray-blue colour.
- Fastest way to pick blueberries is to hold your bucket under a branch with a bunch of ripe berries and with the other hand, gently rub the berries with your fingers to dislodge them. Ripe ones should fall, leaving the unripe ones to stay on the branch.
- Refrigerate your blueberries unwashed soon after picking to keep them fresh longer. Rinse blueberries with water just before eating.
- Bring water to keep cool and hydrated.